Ronaldo targets World Cup recall after title victory

Photo: Ronaldo has put the smile back on the Corinthians club. Photo: nikefutebol, flickr

Photo: Ronaldo has put the smile back on the Corinthians club. Photo: nikefutebol, flickr

Ronaldo says he still hopes to play in next year’s World Cup Finals in South Africa and is ready to return to Brazil’s national football squad, should coach Dunga pick up the phone.

“It’s not my choice, but I’m a Brazilian soldier waiting in reserve, in case the commander-in-chief calls,” Ronaldo told TV variety show host Faustão, when asked whether his goal is to play in the 2010 World Cup, after his Corinthians team clinched the São Paulo state championship.

A 1-1 draw with rivals Santos was enough to complete Ronaldo’s fairy-tale comeback to Brazilian football, as Corinthians lifted the oversized trophy in front of their own fans at Pacaembu stadium, São Paulo on Sunday.

Santos took the lead from a Kleber penalty on 28 minutes, narrowing the deficit from the first leg of the the tie, which Corinthians won 3-1.

Five minutes later, André Santos steadied Corinthians’ fans nerves, shooting past Santos keeper Fábio Costa, after an exchange of passes with Dentinho.

As the trophy slipped away, Santos’ fate was sealed in 83rd minute with the expulsion of Domingos for a second yellow card offence, the final whistle sparking a cacophony of fireworks and car horns all around the city of São Paulo.

The result marks not only a happy return for World Cup winner Ronaldo, 32, after a year out from the game with another career-threatening injury, but also for Corinthians, a team that suffered relegation from the separate First Division championship at the end of 2007.

Corinthians bounced back to the top division at the end of last year and then took a chance on the ageing former superstar - a move that paid dividends, once Ronaldo returned from injury to notch eight goals in eleven appearances.

Sport , ,

  1. No comments yet.
  1. No trackbacks yet.